French Onion Soup and Baguette

 So today I made French Onion Soup, using this recipe:
French Onion Soup

A friend posted a variation of it. So I went with that.

This afternoon I decided I wanted bread.  So I decided to make some.

Baguette recipe:
1000g bread flour 
9g active dry yeast
40g warm (110F) water
560g water
20g salt

That's my base.  I also add 60g of sugar.  And today I used 850g AP flour and 150g rye flour, instead of the 1000g of bread flour.  
It's done using a straight dough method.  
I started by activating my yeast in the 40g of the warm water.  
Then put the flour, salt, sugar and rest of the water into a bowl.  Mixed it just a bit and added the yeast.  
Turn it onto a floured surface and knead it until it's a smooth dough.  
Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl to rise.  
Punch it down then separate it into whatever size you want.  Let them rise.
Bake at 400F until done.  It's always variable for my loaves, since they aren't made following the recipe instructions as such.
Basically, when the loaves reach 190F internally, or sound hollow when tapped.
Regular Baguettes are baked at 475F with steam.  That is what gives it the traditional crust.  Which I do not care for.  If you want the traditional slits on the top, take a razor and slice it 7 times across the length.  Should be 2ish feet long.  
To get steam into an oven that doesn't have steam injection, start by putting some ice cubes on the bottom of your oven.  Then put in your bread.  put one more dose of ice in at about 10 minutes into baking.  As the ice evaporates, you'll get your steam.  Bake for about 20 minutes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Chicken (SUPER EASY)

Beer Bread