Scones (simple)


 So, I've mentioned making scones several times on my facebook page.  

Unless I feel like doing all the work that traditional scones take, I make this recipe:
_________________________________________________________________________

Cream Scones

Oven at 450°F

Ungreased cookie sheet

1 ¾ cups      All purpose flour

2 ¼ tsp         baking powder

1 TBSP         sugar

½ tsp            salt

1 ¼ cups      heavy cream

Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Add any mix-ins now.

Make a well in the dry ingredients.

Pour in the heavy cream.

Combine with a few swift strokes.

Handle the dough as little as possible.

Turn on to a lightly floured board.

Pat to ¾ inch thick.

To make the classic wedge shape, pat into 8” round shape and then cut into 8 – 12 wedges.

Place on a cookie sheet, brush with heavy cream or egg, and sprinkle with salt or sugar.

Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

__________________________________________________________________

If you want to add a mix-in, add it to the dry ingredients before you put in the cream.  I've done lots of variations.  most commonly, I'll add cheese and bacon bits for a breakfast scone. 

I haven't made a traditional scone since I found this recipe.  It's delicious, versatile, and simple.  A trifecta I can't resist.  :D

I would guess it will hold about half a cup or so of mix-ins.  I never measure that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Chicken (SUPER EASY)

Beer Bread